Friday, March 30, 2007

Lapiths and Centaurs


The song of the Lapiths and Centaurs is pretty awesome. Starts on page 405. I felt bad for Eurytus the centaur because he wasn't used to wine and drank too much, thus lost control and attempted to rape the bride. I mean really I should feel bad for the bride, but Eurytus dies! "Then from his mouth and wounds the centaur spouts both blood and brains alike: he vomits wine and, stumbling, falls on the damp ground - supine." Dead. Then a complete battle ensues between the Lapiths and Cantaurs. The following description of the battle is some of the most gruesome I've ever read. But I keep reading because it's interesting for read. The imagery is extremely vivid. For example, "The eyes slid from their sockets..." or "...one eyeball stuck upon the pointed horns, the other slid down to his beard and hung within the clotted blood below his chin." This stuff is disgusting or maybe poetic But because it is classical literature, I get to read this crazy stuff for class. That's wicked cool. In any case, It was hard to read this not only because it was gory, but I think centaurs are really cool. In Harry Potter centaurs are the most knowledgable beasts and can see into the future. In the Chrinicles of Narnia the centaurs are messengers and such. But in Greek mythology they are like beasts and drink wine etc.

No comments: