Sunday, April 8, 2007

a romantic recount


While reading the Metmorphoses of Ovid today I found a story that I really liked. It stirred some emotion and made me sad. The story is Pyramus and Thisbe. It is a beautiful and tragic love story. These two lovers live right next to eachother, but are forbidden from hanging out. Yet, the fire of love continues to burn within them. Pyramus and Thisbe communicate through a small crack in the wall and plan to meet out near this mulberry tree. Thisbe drops her cloak and a lion rips it up with her bloody mouth. Then Pyramus finds it and kills himself because he thinks Thisbe is dead. But she is alive and finds Pyramus, and kills herself, all for love. How amazing. I would never kill myself if the one I loved died. Granted, I would probably feel like I'd rather be dead than alive without the person, but still, I could never stab myself over that. In any case, the real heart jerker is that Thisbe pleads for the gods to leave the mulberries the dark red color instead of white in rememberance of their love. And the gods grant her wish. I just like this story. That's it.

No comments: